Saturday, February 26, 2005

And the award goes to...

Okay, so the Oscars are usually a pretty big deal with me. When the show used to be on Monday nights (anyone remember this?), my mom would get home as soon as possible after work and we would plant ourselves in front of the tube to catch all of the pre-show coverage, discuss who was wearing what, laugh at the host's jokes (Billy, where are you??), and be completely sick of sitting on our butts by the end of the night after our marathon.

Well, now I'm older and wiser and the pre-shows generally just drive me absolutely crazy. I don't want to sit and listen to all of the second-rate "news" reporters interview celebrities whose films they know nothing about, and what designers made their dresses.... no one really cares.

However, I still love to see what the hosts are going to do, and there are a few years where I am interested in what films actually win awards. I did boycott a few times - I remember years ago when The English Patient was nominated for everything, so I refused to see it. Too much hype. I couldn't overcome the hype for Titanic, but now I look back and realize there really was no acting in that movie, except for the star - the boat. And it got boring when it kept winning, and winning... and winning. B-O-R-I-N-G.

So,
here are my pics for winners this year. I didn't see EVERY SINGLE movie nominated for something, so some of my picks will be based on no reason at all. I've also included my favorite quote from each of the movies... also for no reason at all except that I just like quotes.

"There it is, now we both know the sordid truth: I sweat, and you're deaf. Aren't we a fine pair of misfits?"
For Best Picture, I am leaning toward The Aviator, with Million Dollar Baby a close second. The Aviator is a true epic, and a great epic, at that. I didn't want to see it. I am not a big Leonardo fan, and during the first 20 seconds of the film, I was dreading it because I realized "oh, crap, I forgot it's Leo". But after that - I totally forgot it was him and got sucked into the story he was telling as Howard Hughes. This man was a true freak and I was fascinated by the quirks and problems this guy had, along with all that he had accomplished. The movie was beautiful and huge.

"My darling, my blood"
Million Dollar Baby was also a beautiful story, and I almost wish I didn't know the end of the movie before I saw it. I won't ruin it, but it's a tear-jerker and makes you think. And it got me so involved I didn't even leave to pee - which, for me is quite a feat.

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about. And that was the beginning of fairies".
Finding Neverland is a movie I wish would win all kinds of awards, but it's going to be a tough year with tough competition for it to win any at all. I LOVED this movie so much I saw it twice. An absolutely BEAUTIFUL story that caught me completely off-guard several times, and one that I bawled my eyes out several times - both times I saw it. As I mentioned before, Peter Pan is a story that is meaningful to my family, which may influence how I feel about it. But nonetheless, I really wish this movie had gotten more press and that more people I know had seen it.

"Never let nobody or nothing turn you into no cripple".
Ray was simply amazing. Another movie where I completely forgot that this was an actor playing the part. I was impressed by the way the movie wove so many different aspects into the film with flashbacks and tying everything together so seamlessly and believably. It was a bit long for me, and I could not get the fact that the Atlantic Records guy, Ahmet, was being portrayed by the guy who played Booger in Revenge of the Nerds. Anyone else???

"You don't understand my plight".
Sideways was a good story, but I did not care for the movie. Mostly because the characters received none of my sympathy throughout the film, and by the end came, I didn't care less what happened to any of them. I didn't believe any of the acting, and just felt sorry for all of them - including the press who have so lavishly praised this movie. I don't get it, but maybe that's why I don't get paid to be a critic. I didn't hate it, but I would be fine if it didn't win any awards and if I didn't have to see it ever again.

For the rest, here are my picks:
Best Actor: Gotta go with Jamie Foxx, although I already mentioned Leonardo's ability to make me forget it was him and though Clint was great - he was Clint. Funny, but a tough guy.

Best Supporting Actor: Love love love Morgan Freeman in almost anything he does. My mom reminded me today that I used to watch him when I was little on some kid's show. Maybe this is why. He was great in this film.

Best Actress: Kate Winslet was amazing in Eternal Sunshine, but I think I might be leaning more towards Hilary Swank for Oscar #2.

Best Director: Martin Scorsese, hands down.

Best Adapted Screenplay: I gotta give Finding Neverland some sort of pick, so this is it.

Best Original Screenplay: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind because I love Charlie Kaufman.

Best Cinematography: Because it was robbed of nominations this year, I'm going to go with The Passion of the Christ.

Best Animated Feature: I absolutely cannot pick one because I loved all of them - The Incredibles, Shark Tale, and Shrek 2. But I'll pick Shark Tale because it's the last one I saw. See? I told you it would be scientific!!


No comments: