Sunday, August 19, 2007

Taxes, headaches, and camels - oh my!

Okay, so Texas has a tax-free weekend every year. It's meant to give parents a break on back-to-school shopping for their kids, so all clothes, shoes and school supplies you buy from Friday thru Sunday are tax-free. I had never heard of this before, but apparently the idea is catching on around the country. We took advantage and hit Target - our favorite - and got Jon a few new shirts and me a new pair of jeans. Gotta love Target!

We had a slight change in the weather. The tropical storm Erin brought in some rain and wind and it's set off my sinuses. I had a huge headache all day yesterday and woke up with it still this morning. Jon was stuffy as well, so we weren't very exciting. But we did manage to squeeze in a game of "I Love the 80's" before he went to work. He beat me - but I think he'll readily admit that I gave him a few answers out of pity because I was kicking his butt for most of the game. Note to self: Never feel sorry for your competitors when playing I Love the 80's. I'm ready for a rematch.

And finally - I am so excited for my mom to come visit. Just a little over 2 weeks until she'll be here! I'm really looking forward to someone else seeing where we live. Not just the house, but the neighborhood, and the different roads leading to it. For instance, off the main highway on the road we take to our house, there is a taxidermist and a wild game processing place (the butcher you take the deer you just shot to so he can slice it up for you). So random! Also, on another highway we both take each day, we pass a big farm with rolling green hills, streams, bison, cows and sheep. The other day I was driving home and I saw a CAMEL on the farm!!! an actual camel. Probably one of the things I would least expect to see on a farm, especially on a farm in Texas!!!

Weird.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a camel in Texas...shoot,I can deal with that...but NO taxes for a weekend of shopping??? Now THAT is UNHEARD of!!! =) actually, a camel is a little weird too....