Saturday, March 22, 2008

One Day at a Time...

That has been my motto for this past week. Unfortunately, things didn't seem to get much better as the days wore on, so by Friday I was pretty much just a puddle of emotions trying to get through the final day without completely crashing and/or having a major breakdown.

The week started off with an early morning meeting on Monday at work, at which we found out that there were going to be layoffs. That day. Starting immediately. Some of the managers who were in that meeting with me, were some that were laid off. Though it was handled very well, it made for a very long day as they called people one by one down to HR to be given the news. By the afternoon, the dust had settled, and those who were left were able to breathe a sigh of relief. But it wasn't a day I'd wish for anyone.

Now, for several reasons, I and my position were never really in danger. There was a strategic elimination that we later had confirmed was based on performance and overall effectiveness of the position/department. Two things I didn't have to worry about. But even through Tuesday, I was still finding out about friends that were gone and it didn't make for a pleasant time. The only factor that softened the blow was that I found out what the severence package was they were giving to those employees who were let go, and the company is doing what they can to make sure those employees are WELL taken care of. For some, in a strange way, it might even be the best thing that can happen to them.

The rest of the week at work was just a rollercoaster with Execs in town, getting to work early, dealing with unexpected and changing plans, etc....

On Wednesday, I woke up and I felt like Harper had gained 3 pounds overnight. She just felt very "heavy" and VERY big in there. It was an unexpected shift and I think I finally made the leap over to the "perpetually uncomfortable" side of the pregnancy. This really threw me for a loop, as I've had a relatively uneventful pregnancy. She's always been very active, but now it seems like I feel her every single movement and I have to readjust as a result. It's a weird thing. I'm also swollen all the time now and can only wear my wedding rings since they were sized bigger to begin with. Even my bracelet doesn't slide on and off easily anymore and is uncomfortable to wear. I've gotten slippers to wear at work because even my comfy Crocs - which are the only shoes I can wear anymore - leave big indentations.

By Thursday afternoon, I had pretty much had it and got home and had an emotional breakdown. I haven't had *too* many of the hormonal outbursts or random cryings, but when they happen, they happen good. I had gotten calmed down and had settled in for some dinner and TV when we got the call...

Cooper had to be put to sleep. I'm posting more about Cooper in my next post (above), but needless to say, this was hard news to take.

SOOOO... I'd like to wash this week OFF of me and throw it away never to be seen or heard from again. Except in this blog, of course. But I'm really hoping these posts serve as a reminder that nothing is promised, life is gonna throw you curveballs, and hopefully we can have the strength and resiliency to get back up. ALSO, though these weeks don't happen very often (THANKFULLY!), soon I'll be able to look back and see a definite purpose in it all. The last time I remember feeling like this was in January of 07 where it was a terrible MONTH. But looking back, that whole month led us here to Texas... and look where we are now. A beautiful home, great jobs, a baby on the way... and a whole future ahead of us.

No comments: