Sunday, April 19, 2009

Aw, Hail

A few weeks ago North Fort Worth had a severe thunderstorm which resulted in very large hail. Wouldn't you know it - our neighborhood was one of about 3 hit hard, resulting in the majority of homes now needed new roofs! Yes, us included. A new roof, along with a new skylight, new screens, new window frames and new vent covers. What a wild night it was.

Coming from California, I have the understanding that roofs are supposed to last until their warranty - 20 years is the typical time period in which one replaces their roof. In fact, in all of the houses I've lived in, I've never known to have needed a new roof for any of them. This whole reality is so strange for me. Come to find out, hail and other severe weather is the reason why insurance premiums are so high where we live. Insurance companies anticipate having to replace a roof on any given home once every 5 years at minimum. Crazy, right?

We're still waiting to hear back our estimate on what insurance will pay us to have everything replaced, then it's up to us to decide what we'll replace now and what might be able to wait. We're so not excited about paying our deductible, but from what other say, it's pretty common around here to even negotiate that down to next to nothing. To this I say "whhhaaaaaa???" but hey, I'm not gonna argue.

Here's some pics of the aftermath.







2 comments:

Leelo said...

oh my gosh! how crazy! That is SOME HAIL.

Unknown said...

WoW! I could only imagine how loud that hail storm must have been... crazy photos indeed!