Saturday, July 09, 2005

Say My Name Say My Name

At work, although being brand new to the industry, I've become quite the rooming list input queen. I type in the names of various people who are a part of different groups visiting our hotel--which is great because names have always kind of been a fascination of mine.

But yesterday I came across a name that I could add to my list of possible people to marry. Sound crazy? I'm sure it does, but let me explain.

When I was in 7th grade, I had a small crush on my math teacher, Mr. Wood. He looked exactly like Woody Harrelson, and I was just a young, impressionable child. During one of my early daydream sessions during math, I realized that if I were to marry him, my name would then be Holly Wood. How great would that be?!? My crush quickly faded after Mr. Wood showed his temper and I realized that he sweat a little too much for my test. But it started a dream that has continued to this day.

In 10th grade I worked with a guy named James Jolly. James was a grade younger than I, but I still developed a small crush on him as well--especially after I realized I could be Holly Jolly if WE were to maybe perhaps one day get married. I told him everyday at work that I was going to marry him, and soon all of my coworkers fell in love with the idea and joined in--unfortunately James did not fall in love with it.

I became good friends with a guy named Joel Berry. I did not develop a crush on him, however since he was already married. Unfortunately so was his brother, but I soon asked if I could be introduced to any cousins, uncles or legal nephews so that one day I could possibly be Holly Berry. Alas, there were none.

While entering in names for a very large group (Air Force) that will be staying at our hotel for a few weeks later in the month, I came across another possibility. The last name was Dawley, which of course would make me Holly Dawley. I'm going to be keeping my eye out for that name tag around the hotel. There are also commercials for our police force in Las Vegas where the chief's last name is Golightly. This is possibly my favorite one ever, just because it's SO unlikely to happen. I would LOVE to be Holly Golightly.

Other possible combinations I have come up with are Doll, or Dahl, and Bush. A girl can dream, can't she?

As a side note, the title of this post brought back memories of The NeverEnding Story where the childlike princess demands Bastian to "CALL. MY. NAME!" or Fantasia will be no more. I decided to search the movie because my brother, sister and I have never been able to figure out what name he hells out the window in the rain and storm. It's supposed to be his mother's name because that's what he says he will name her. Turns out he yells "Moonchild" which wasn't even his mother's name but the name he thought of her when he saw her... Confused? Yeah, me too. Whatever. I guess I need to read the book.

Anyone have a racing snail?

No comments: