Friday, July 01, 2005

Something Evil's Lurking in the Dark

Today I've been thinking of fear.

Right after the munchkin left my office, the only person I could call to tell is probably the last person that cared. Heather is scared of midgets, little people, dwarfs--all of them. Literally scared. She gets the heebie jeebies when she sees one in person, on tv or even in a picture. She's also scared of Rod Stewart. Well, maybe not scared so much as she has absolutely no tolerance for him. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard to her.

I had a friend who was scared of Bette Midler that way. One of my coworkers is scared of clowns and another coworker is scared of beans, as I posted before. The only thing I can think of for myself is styrofoam. I'm not talking about cups or plates or anything (though used incorrectly, those can be bad too).

You know when you get something new in a box, like a stereo, and it's packed in that hard molded styrofoam? The sound of it sends me shrieking away, hiding my ears, humming to myself to try and drown out any sound. I can't stand it. But that's a sound, not a "thing". It's strange, but I could argue it's not as strange as beans or midgets.

I can't think of anything typical that I'm scared of like spiders or snakes. Rats.... wild rats. Those are gross. OH! And pigeons!! I'm terrified of pigeons, but that stems from the time I got attacked by them in Venice after a "friend" thought it would be funny to buy a bag of seed, then proceed to dump handfulls of behind me where I couldn't see him. The feeling of being surrounded by those ugly parasite-infested birds with no way out was one I never want to relive. I later strangled him in his sleep.

I'm going to continue to think about it, but the question of the day is:
What strange thing are you scared of?

No comments: