Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Letter D

Continuing with what Alicia started, I'm participating in a list of things I love. Alicia assigned me the letter D and it's taken me almost a week to come up with a list. It's been a lot of fun, even if it's been harder than I asked for (I specifically asked for an easy one - hmph). I've taken a few liberties with a couple items in order to come up with my 10.

Here's how it works: You leave a comment on this post, and I'll assign you a letter. You write about ten things you love that begin with your assigned letter and you post it on your blog. When people comment on your post you assign them a letter and the fun continues.

Here we go!

1. Dallas: As in Alicia. And she represents all those friends who I've been able to get to know better through this crazy blog world since I've moved away. Alicia, Alyssa, Freida, Kristin, etc... All people I feel I've gotten to know so much better via their blogs. These are all beautiful women I was never particularly close friends with "in person" back home but who bless me abundantly by allowing me to share in their lives and who share in mine.

2.Dirty Jobs: Jon loves to watch the Discovery Channel, which means I usually end up watching it too. I don't like most of the shows he does: Mythbusters, Storm Chasers, to name just two. But Dirty Jobs is something we both love to laugh and get disgusted at together. Mike Rowe subjects himself to some nasty situations and we find great pleasure and entertainment in this.

3. Downpour: I absolutely love the rain. Dark, cloudy weather puts me in a great mood and rain just makes me giddy. I think it's because I love staying home in my comfies and rainy, cold weather is a great excuse to do that. I love thunder and lightning and walking in the rain is one of my favorite things to do. So much so that I never carried an umbrella until last year when I figured no one would think highly of a pregnant lady being stupid enough to let herself get drenched, and of course I now keep one close so that I can keep Harper dry. The only thing I don't like is wearing wet shoes or socks, which is the only snag in my love of the rain. But in my opinion, just a small price to pay.

4. DFW: I technically live in Fort Worth, but DFW is what the area is called, as well as the airport. I really love living in Texas and am so happy we made the decision to move here. Even though I miss my friends and family more than anyone knows, I wouldn't change my mind. And living only 20 minutes from the airport makes it even easier to get there for flights or to pick those up who are coming to visit - which we LOVE!

5. Dachshunds: Ever since my first Dachshund Lucy, I promised I would always have one. They are such funny, amazing, spunky, feisty, loving critters and I can't imagine what life would be like without them. Between my parents and I, we've been blessed to have had Lucy, Cooper, Peanut and Chuck in our lives and we miss them terribly. I of course currently have my Wylee Boy and she's the home for Maxine, Odie and BenE. All of these fur babies have worked their way into our hearts without much effort. (Side note: This is nothing to take away from Sarge, but I was trying to be more specific than just saying "dogs". Besides - everyone already knows I love all dogs).

6. Diet Coke: My one major vice. I don't smoke, but I am addicted to a different drug: Diet Coke. I drink one as soon as I get up and one or two more during the day. If it's a particularly sleepy morning, I'll stop for a fountain Diet Coke and I can swear there's nothing better at that moment.

7. Driving: I had to wait 6 months to get my drivers license when I turned 16 because my mom didn't want me being a new driver in the snow. Smart. But I definitely made up for lost time once I finally got it. I was off and running and drove down the hill as often as I could afford to or find reason for. I still love driving, though these days I spend more time in traffic away from my family than I care to. Road Trips have always been something I've LOVED doing and being a relatively new Texan, I always look forward to arriving somewhere new and seeing the sights along the way.

8. Decorations: As in holiday decorations. I enjoy making my home feel comfortable, and holiday decorations help me greatly in doing that. I love decorating my home for Christmas, as most people do. But since buying the house, I've also begun loving to put out little things for Valentine's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving and other lesser-celebrated days. I usually buy my things on clearance after the holiday for use the following year, so when I go to pull out the next holiday's items, it's always a little like Christmas when I find things I might have forgotten about. Iit's the small things I love - but that's what this list is about, right?

9. Dramamine: This is a stretch, but bear with me. I can get motion sickness in just about everything. Cars, boats, roller coasters, buses - you get the idea. I used to take Dramamine but I didn't like how sleepy it made me feel so in recent years I've started using the pressure bands to put on my wrists and they work great. The reason I'm thankful for Dramamine though is that I can appreciate all the opportunities I've been given to have reason to take it. It seems the sickest I've been are places I've had some of the most fun in. On a boat in the Bahamas following wild dolphins spending precious time with my family (twice); on a plane headed to Europe where I first went in high school, then went to spend a semester in Florence, and third when I took an adventure with two friends backpacking for 3 weeks all over; on a big bus with my best friend Heather when she took me as her "guest" on her company incentive trip to Cabo San Lucas where everything was free - everything. Such amazing times and memories for each of these and reminds me how much I love to travel, despite my handicap.

10. Daughter: Saved the best for last. She by far is the light of my life and my greatest love other than God and my husband. She brings me so much purpose to my life and more joy than I could have ever imagined - and I imagined a lot. I always thought I had a good idea what motherhood would be like, but I truly had no idea. It's 100 times bigger than I ever thought: more love, more joy, more heartache, more frustrating, and more rewarding. I wouldn't change it for anything and I am so glad I was chosen to be her Mommy.

6 comments:

Tara K said...

This looks like a lot of fun! Very creative with your answers by the way. I love them all! (And I have to say, Jeff and I share a love of "Dirty Jobs" as well!)

Stephanie said...

We love dirty jobs too..Mike is a hoot. Now give me a decent letter...no x's or q's

The Hanes Fam said...

Okay I'll go easy on you two and switcheroo your initials.
Tara - you get S.
Stephanie - you get T. (by the way, you would've had a much easier time with my D. You had 2 right off the bat!)

Anonymous said...

I call H. It's mine. :)

Sincerely,

Man Hanes

Jenny said...

Ok..gimme a letter! :)

The Hanes Fam said...

Okay, Jenny - you get "P". Can't wait to read what you come up with. :)