Monday, January 03, 2005

Holiday cheer and other mushy stuff

Survived another Christmas. As expected, this year was very different than years past, especially not waking up with my parents on Christmas morning. But we made the most of it and had a great time. Woke up on Christmas morning in my old home town, which was comforting and nice - although it didn't snow (thank goodness - I didn't want to have to drive in the freakin' crap), it was verrrry cold in the morning, which made it seem more like Christmas. Hung out all day with the new little tyke and the rest of the fam.





Me and the kid




Drove home exhausted and rented a few movies since I had no plans for the rest of the day, and was midway through the first one when my sister called asking if she could tag along with me when I drove to visit the parents.







Turned out to be the best thing we could have ever imagined doing.

Completely surprised the whole family when we showed up, especially my mom, who was thrilled to be able to finally hold her first grandchild - she was there when he was born, but was much too sick to go anywhere near he or my sister. It was absolutely fantastic to see everyone, including getting reintroduced to my step-sister's kids who I hadn't seen in about 7 years and who my sister had never met. Very cool kids - too bad they live in Alaska. And absolutely always my favorite to see my step brother and his fabulous wife and two kids. They moved to Arizona in September and I've missed them so much it makes me sick. Really really great.





"Mimi" and her first shot at holding the kid



Something I've learned to appreciate so much about my stepdad is the family he's brought to us. I have no extended family to speak of. My real father was an only child, who I think only ever had one aunt. My mom had a brother who never had any kids of his own, and who died in 95. At one point, he married a woman who had 4 kids which I thought was the greatest thing when I was little because I had COUSINS!! But they got divorced, so my excitement didn't last much longer. I've got no other aunts, uncles or grandparents still alive. It's basically me, my sister, brother and mom.



And then there's my step dad. He had 3 kids by the time he was 20, and added another one to the bunch a few years later. Although he himself is an only child, he recently discovered a whole bunch of cousins a few years who had never searched for him because they thought he was dead. Nice, huh? He also raised three other step kids, then us. All-in-all he's got 10 kids and now 11 grandkids. His family is quite unique, but they have brought so much fulfillment to my life, and have given us that extended family we never had. I've now known his family more than half my life, and feel so thankful.



There has been some limited contact with my real dad's wife these past few weeks. The most there's been in 6 years which is the last time I saw either one of them. It's been a strange time, but a time where I've really come to appreciate the family that I do keep in contact with and who have shown me so much love.



Families are not the easiest people in the world to always get along with. But in the end, they're the ones who know you the best. And usually the ones who HAVE to love you, no matter what. They're the ones who will bail you out of whatever stupid predicament you've gotten yourself into, and the first ones who will rush to share in the excitement of something really great happening in your life, and be genuinely thrilled for you. My family has grown to become the people who I can share all the stupid things I do with, and they will laugh right along with me - agreeing with me that I'm stupid, but never being the first to say it.



I'm glad to know my family circle has gotten bigger with many brothers and sisters, and now expanding ever more with in-laws and nieces and nephews. All the more to love to grow.





The Alaska and Arizona families





Me and Jax





Me and Jade

No comments: