Sunday, October 10, 2004

No, it doesn't have a Hemi

I have reconsidered my career choice, and I'm considering applying for a job as a professional rental car test driver. I could rate it on all sorts of criteria: power, agility, handling, appearance... And then on the more important categories: the possibilities of one getting asked for their number, the rate of double-takes the car causes, and self esteem boosters. I already blogged about the Dodge truck I drove last weekend that had a Hemi and made me feel very powerful.

This weekend, my sister and I got a kick out of the cars that were waiting in the parking lot to be rented, joking about how we would look driving to Vegas in this or that... We both noticed the Dodge
Magnum and stated how ugly it was. So of course we picked it when they offered us an upgrade. We mostly cared about comfort and didn't care too much about how we looked in it, as long as it got us there and back.

Little did we plan on the kind of reaction it would inspire. At our stop in Baker, we got a couple of older gentlemen who were pit-stopping with their families asking us all types of questions about its speed, what a good-looking car it was, etc, etc... We just drove away laughing, baffled at the thought of how anyone could think this car was attractive in any sort of way. But it got me thinking about how well it really did handle, and how we didn't feel anything on the road at all. I was cruising at 95 and didn't bat an eyelash because it was so smooth.

Mom loves the car and now wants one. Dad encouraged the conversation saying she needed a new "Vegas car". Sis and I just kept saying how completely ugly it was, and how it was just a glorified station wagon.

On the drive home while creeping along in traffic, a couple of teenage boys drove up alongside yelling "That thing have a Hemi??" I answered no, but to be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I just didn't want to continue any further conversation about a car that was getting all this attention. I didn't understand it.

So we turned the Magnum in on Saturday morning and bid our farewells. It brought us home safely and smoothly and gave us a few laughs along the way. It's still really ugly, tho.


Bring on the job application. I'm ready to go.







1 comment:

under the red sky said...

"No it doesnt have a Hemi." Hahahahaha. That was funny! :P