Sunday, January 18, 2009

Our Menu Last Week

We have now stuck to our menu for 2 weeks now and I have to say - I absolutely love shopping with a set menu in mind. No more wandering around, getting the usual things we know we like, knowing that one day we'll use it. Now I go in with a purpose: buy things for the week, plus things that are incredibly on sale and too good to pass up. Usually the really good sales with coupons are on houseware items and canned goods, and those can be stockpiled.

Monday - Jon worked overtime, I was on my own which meant pasta - my favorite guilty pleasure.
Tuesday - Chili dogs. Jon got actual hot dogs this week because they were on sale, and I had my usual veggie dog with veggie chili.
Wednesday - Baked potato and steak/veggie burger. Jon dug into his frozen steak stock and grilled up a couple.
Thursday - Pappa al Pomodoro - always a fave!
Friday - leftover Pappa with grilled cheese sandwiches.

What has ended up working really well is that the dinners have offered up enough for Jon to take with him to work for dinner #2 that night, which helps curb his late-night Sonic visits while he tries to have enough fuel until 6am. Another plus to planning!

No comments: