Sunday, January 18, 2009

Shopping Trip Savings

Yes, I'm a dork, but I had to do a blog about my savings at the grocery store. Not to boast or brag - but to let everyone know that if I can do it, YOU can do it!

Harper and I spent 3 hours this afternoon going to 4 stores: Walmart, Tom Thumb, Kroger, and Walgreens. Yes - my sweet little girl was a trooper the whole time even without a nap. She's awesome! In and out of the carts and car seat - she just giggled every time I picked her up, and laughed while entertaining the customers. She's such a joy.

I digress... 3 hours, 4 stores and (drum roll please)... We saved $115.07!!!!

I challeged myself with a $75 limit again this week and came away at exactly $77. Not too bad seeing as how the darned Walgreens register decided not to double all my coupons. grrr....

Here's the break down:


Total store membership savings (the cards you get for free and scan at the register) at Kroger and Tom Thumb (aka: Smiths and Vons elsewhere): $46.70


Total savings in Walgreens coupons and their sale items: $24.80


Total savings with manufacturer coupons: $43.57

I love shopping trips like today because the sales allowed me to really stock up on cleaning supplies and pantry and personal care items - all are things that store well.

Some of my favorite deals included Olay lotion regularly $7.99 for $0.99, Olay body wash regularly $7.99 for $1.99 and 2 Maybelline mascaras regularly $7.99 each for 1.99 for both.

Here's my loot:


2 comments:

Tara K said...

You are TOTALLY inspiring! Way to go!

Jon and alyssa said...

That is so cool. I have been challenging myself to save money by budgeting and so forth. One thing that has really helped, is when I go to the store, taking a calculator with me, so there are no surprises at the register.