Saturday, January 17, 2009

Update: First 2 Weeks With Our New Budget

I had to come update on how the budget has been going our first 2 weeks.

My major accomplishment: I achieved my grocery goal of $150 with $0.35 to spare. I'm incredibly happy and proud of myself.

All told, we wound up with a surplus of $84.00 from what we budgeted to put towards our next smallest bill, which helped it become paid!

The current debt we're working on is one of my credit cards and boy, is it fun to see that balance getting low, low, low. Scary, but fun. This month is an extra paycheck which is helping tremendously towards making that bill nonexistent. It'll be a small miracle if it gets paid off with the next paycheck, but hey, we can pray for one, right?

Dave's book heavily stresses about how God blesses those who take control of their finances, and we're believers. Last night we opened our electricity bill to see that our deposit was being refunded for 12 months of being good customers. Essentially this means we won't have to pay our electric bill for about 3-4 months! We figured we would've gotten this last summer since that was 12 months after moving in, but I think we were just too preoccupied to notice or care. In any event - hooray!

Oh, and another small (huge) victory: We were able to tithe a full 10% for the first time in a long time as we follow the steps of give, pay, spend, save. What a blessing.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

We have a saying around the Weaver house...You can't out give God. It seems whenever we dig into our pockets to help someone out, we get money in the mail unexpectedly. It's like God's way of saying thank you for trusting me.

Glad your budget worked out for the week. Question for you though...if said husband my sole inserts for his shoes that were about $17 would you consider this grocery/sundry? Damien seems to think so, but how can he do that to my grocery budget!

The Hanes Fam said...

Ohhh, tough one. I happen to include all personal care items into my grocery budget, so while this would technically be a personal care item, I would wait to buy them until you budgeted for them next paycheck/month and file them under miscellaneous or add $17 to your grocery budget.